How to take care of your retainer
Your retainers help you take care of your orthodontic results - so it’s important to help take care of them! Here are our quick tips:
- Wear them regularly, as advised. This may be during the day right after treatment, but eventually will just be at night.
- Don’t bite or chew them. This may deform the shape and impact the fit of your retainers.
- Avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures. Very high heat may melt the plastic, while extreme cold may promote cracks.
- Clean them regularly. Each time you take your retainers out, it’s a good idea to gently brush them with toothpaste and warm water.
- Store them in their case. When you take out your retainers for sports, meals, brushing or flossing - immediately stow them in their plastic case (after brushing them, of course!)
Important: If you’ve lost your retainer, please contact us immediately so we can help you replace it ASAP. If too much time passes, your teeth may begin to move back into their old positions.