What food should I avoid while wearing braces?
You should still be able to eat most of your favorite foods during treatment. However, there are a few things we highly recommend avoiding that may damage your brackets.
We highly recommend that you refrain from:
- Chewing gum (except if sugar-free)
- Chewy or sticky candies such as taffy, etc.
- Hard, crunchy foods such as crusty bread, apples, etc. (It should be fine if you cut these into bite-sized pieces when eating.)
- Fruit juices (because of acidic content)
- Fizzy drinks, sports drinks, and flavored water (including diet varieties)
Please note: this is not an exhaustive list. If you have questions or concerns about foods you can eat during treatment, please don’t hesitate to consult our friendly team members.